Alderholt is a large village and civil parish located in the East Dorset district of Dorset, England. It is one of Dorset's most easterly villages, bounded on three sides by Hampshire. It is situated 3 miles (4.8km) west of Fordingbridge and 5 miles (8km) east of Verwood. The parish includes the hamlets of Crendell and Cripplestyle and was created as a civil parish in 1894. A Parish Book was published in 1994 by Alderholt Parish Council, recording parish details and interest over the 100 years. The village has a population of 3,170 (2011 census).
The village benefits from a Convenience Store, Veterinary Clinic, Garden Centre, Allotment gardens and part time GP Surgery. St James' First School and two Preschools offer early years education. There is a large recreation ground with sports pitches, tennis courts, sports court and children's play facilities. The Churchill Arms village pub, the Sports and Social Club, the Village Hall and the Reading Rooms are all places to socialise. There are three churches in the village: the Congregational Chapel, St James' Church of England and the Tabernacle Gospel Church. In addition, there are a number of voluntary groups serving the community.
Until 1964, the village was served by a railway station named Daggons Road, situated to the west of the village, and on a line connecting to Fordingbridge and Salisbury to the north, and Verwood and Wimborne to the south. The main road running through the village is the B3078 connecting Alderholt to Fordingbridge and Shaftesbury.
The nearest travel links are Salisbury Railway Station, 11 miles (18 km) from the village and Bournemouth International Airport at a distance of 9 miles (14 km)